Schloß Wernigerode GmbH,
Am Schloß 1
Tel.: 0 39 43 - 55 30 40
Fax: 0 39 43 - 55 30 55
The original Romanesque castle dating from the 12the century, extensively altered over the years, was up to 1945 the residential palace of the Earls of Stolberg, who took the name "von Stolberg-Wernigerode" from their principality, the earldom of Wernigerode. The grand turreted stone and half-timber castle with magnificent views over the medieval town of Wernigerode today ranks as a mjor example of the North German "Historismus" building style. The remarkable rise to political power of Earl Otto, who became Vice Chancellor of Germany under Bismarck, gave impetus to the sumtuous late 19the century remodelling seen today, including the original state rooms once hosting Europe's highest ranking nobility of that day. Changing exhibits, a variety of events and scientific symposiums fulfill the Schlossmuseum's aim to become a center for artistic and cultural history of the 19th century. Weddings in the Chapel, banquets in the Dining Hall, receptions, conferences and parties in the grandly appointed state rooms by arrangement.
Location: Above Wernigerode, 70 km south of Brunswick. Transfer Service every 20 minutes from the town centre.
Open: May - October daily 10 a.m. - 6 p.m., last admission 5:30 p.m.,
November - April: closed Mondays, daily 10 a.m. - 5 p.m
Admission: Adults: 6,00 EUR, Pensioners/students: 5,00 EUR, Children 2,50 EUR
Gardens and panorama terrace free.
Refreshments: Restaurant and Tea Room open daily except Mondays.
Special events: Open air opera, theatre, concerts and ballet on the central terrace, shop.